Last week I read an article titled, “The One Question That Can Dramatically Increase Your Proposal Wins”. The question was, “What will the client miss out on if they choose someone else”.
Let’s be honest, we all provide the same services as most of our competition. What sets Stephens & Smith apart from most of the competition is our qualifications and experience. At a recent internal bid meeting, I asked this question to our Division Heads, Estimators, and Project Managers. I thought the response was so good it warranted its own article. Allow me to express their answers to the question, “What would General Contractors or Owners miss out on if they decide to choose another concrete subcontractor?” In no particular order, here’s their response.
- Communication – Communication is key to any high performing teams. When we communicate in a timely fashion, it helps us build trust and confidence with our clients.
- Experience – Stephens & Smith Construction Company has over 200 employees. The combined years of service of those employees is over 1,850 years. I challenge anyone to find another concrete contractor in Nebraska with that kind of experience.
- Quality – Even though concrete is a perishable product, we ensure the concrete we are providing is of high quality and will meet or exceed the owner’s expectations.
- Performance – From the time our proposal is awarded to the time we close the project, we perform. We measure our performance based on the accuracy of our bids, completing and fulfilling our contracts and obligations, and conducting our services in a timely fashion.
- We stand behind our work – We at Stephens & Smith work hard to meet or exceed owners expectations. If we make a mistake, we fix it. Period.
- Customer Service – We believe good customer service is helping our clients efficiently, in a friendly manner. We feel it’s essential to ensure client satisfaction by listening and being responsive.
- Building Relationships – Building good relationships fosters trust. Relationships are crucial to any business transaction because people make decisions based on trust. The construction industry is a people business. Not only do we build concrete structures, we build relationships.
- We are a “One stop shop” – We have 4 different divisions: Lincoln Foundations, Omaha Foundations, Flatwork, and Specialty Products Division. From concrete walls, footings, floors, parking lots, decorative concrete, floor underlayment’s, In-floor radiant heating, industrial floor hardeners, and sealers. Stephens & Smith is your “One Stop Shop” for all your concrete and flooring needs.
- Professionalism – We are competent, and we are skilled. We strictly adhere to courtesy, honesty, and responsibility when dealing with our clients. Our company mission statement says it all, “United in Quality, Integrity, and Professionalism to Create Excellence in Construction”.
- Craftsmanship – Craftsmanship helps us build better structures and better employees. We take pride in our work and we enjoy showing off our projects to our community for years to come.
- Longevity – Mike Smith and Bob Stephens founded Stephens & Smith Construction Company in 1971. We have been around for nearly half a century and due to the leadership and our dedication to success, we aren’t going anywhere.
- We have an owner on every project – This is where we set ourselves apart from the competition. Stephens & Smith Construction Company is owned by employees. This means you are getting the best service possible because each person who works on your project has a stake in how the work turns out. This translates into excellent quality workmanship and outstanding customer service.
In concrete construction there are a lot of variables that dictate the success of any project, many variables are out of our control. But this top 12 list are things we can control. We pride ourselves in being the leaders in our industry. We strive to be the best and this list is our recipe for success. In a world where “Low Bid” typically wins, we want our clients to understand all the components that come with our proposals, it’s always more than just a number.
Jereme Montgomery, Business Development Manager, Stephens & Smith Construction Co., Inc.